The Delta Cost Project Database is a longitudinal database derived from the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) surveys on finance, enrollment, staffing, completions, and student aid for academic years 1986-87 through 2012-13. These data have been translated into analytical formats to allow for longitudinal analyses of trends in postsecondary education with a focus on revenues and expenditures.
The database files can be downloaded using the links below and are most easily analyzed using statistical software packages (e.g., SAS, SPSS, Stata, etc.) because of their size. Each zipped file includes the updated 1987-1999 and 2000-2013 database files. The documentation (available in a zip file or directly accessible via the links below) explains changes made to the database during the most recent update, and also includes a data dictionary, data mapping file, and program code to create value labels and variables adjusted for enrollment and inflation.
- Delta Cost Project Database 1987-2013 (SAS) (137 MB)
- Delta Cost Project Database 1987-2013 (SPSS) (118 MB)
- Delta Cost Project Database 1987-2013 (STATA) (134 MB)
- Delta Cost Project Database 1987-2013 (CSV) (118 MB)
Please refer to the following documentation files to learn more about the variables and improvements to the database:
- Delta Cost Project Database 1987-2013 Data File Documentation (386 KB)
- Data Dictionary (890 KB)
- Data Mapping File (299 KB)
- SAS code to create and organize finance variables per FTE student and adjusted for CPI-U (37 KB)
- Delta Cost Project Database History, 1987-2009 (571 KB)
- All Documentation (zip file) (1 KB)